Thursday, August 6, 2015

So this happened...

So.... I got a new job! Did NOT think this was going to happen, or did I? I'm not even sure; just a little overwhelmed with everything happening right now, especially at this point in the summer.

I will now be teaching high school- WHOA! Pretty different than my comfortable K-7 that I've been doing for the past 7 years. I will be the only high school teacher at this district (small in numbers is an understatement), and will be teaching studio in art, ceramics, drawing and painting, photography, sculpture, and graphics. I don't even know where to start..

It's funny, because I made it a point to be more active with my blog again. My little ones have been taking up a lot of my time lately (not that I'm complaining!), but I miss this.

For any of you reading this, I'd love any advice or feedback with change and how to start a school year, especially if you're a high school teacher teaching several different areas! I know my blog roll and most of my followers are elementary teachers. I plan on trying to keep up with those amazing bloggers still, but Art Paper Scissors Glue will more than likely be shifting in the "high school" world now and that perspective. If you have any high school blogs that you would love to recommend for me to follow, I'd appreciate that, too.

Alright, that's it for now. I hope everyone is enjoying their summer (if school hasn't started already!), and I hope you're getting energized for the next coming weeks!

3 comments:

  1. You will do awesome!! I often think high schoolers need a little elementaryish influence!!! Can't wait to see the projects & your process of adjusting...I know it will be helpful for many of your readers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you! Four years ago, the opposite happened to me; I went from 15 years at high school to elementary school.
    You will be amazed at the time you have! You will not miss hall duty, cafe duty, morning duty, or proctoring state tests! You will relish the closeness you can achieve with your new students, and you will be energized by their ideas. I hope you end up in a situation where there is good discipline. Some of the students I taught, or tried to, had so many other issues they couldn't see themselves succeeding. That made things tough.
    Good luck and contact me if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck! I did all my training with the goal in mind of teaching high school. I loved my student teaching assignment I taught Art I, Art III & IV, fine arts survey, and AP Art History! I thought I was in Heaven. Then I graduated and there were no jobs. It took me two years to find one and it ended up being an elementary position. I couldn't imagine being any where else. I can't even remember why I loved high school so much because this just feels so perfect. I hope the transition for you goes just as well!

    ReplyDelete